Mother Nature is keeping us under her thumb. There is a noticeable difference between the 2011 garlic growing season and last year’s season as the photographs show.
Based on the slow start this year, we will adjust our spring-time activities by a couple of weeks later than usual.
Usual Spring Timeline:
1. Mid March – Garlic emergence
2. Mid April – Apply fertilizer (Fertrell Fish #1)
3. Mid April – Manual cultivation on entire field both in-row & between-row
4. May 1 – Apply fertilizer (Fertrell Fish #1)
5. Early May – Herbicide (Vinegar) spray program starts (also on or about: 5/20, 6/1, 6/15, 6/22). (Note: Spray on warm, dry days so that rain will not dilute or wash away the solution and avoid windy days to prevent excessive drifting.)
6. Mid June – Scape removal
The garlic roots continue to grow well this spring and have prepared the garlic plants for growth. What we need now is the arrival of spring with some warm, sunny days to promote stem and leaf plant growth.
We’re sure that all are ready for warmer weather, however, we will take what we are given.