What’s Fiery and Maple Twisted?
Hint: Yesterday’s 3-1/2 gallons of home-made “Fire on the Mountain Mustard” had a maple twist. The main ingredients of this mountain mustard were: Bishop’s Crown and Jalapeno hot peppers from Butch Davis and local honey from Fallen Leaf Farm, wheat flour, sugar, yellow prepared mustard and apple vinegar. Recipe by Fitzgerald’s Family Farm.
We added a special ingredient to the recipe; Maple Cream. Maple cream is a sweet, creamy spread made from maple syrup by Between Two Rivers Pure Maple Products of Wellsboro, Pennsylvania.
So what all went into that large kettle?
- 1 gallon of apple vinegar, Demler’s
- 5 pounds of raw sugar, Golden Barrel
- 1 gallon of prepared mustard, French’s
- 6 cups of whole wheat flour, Snavely’ Mill
- 1 quart of local honey, Fallen Leaf Farm
- 1 pint of maple cream, Between Two Rivers Pure Maple Products
- An abundance of vacuum-packed fresh frozen chili peppers
- 4 cups of water
And, how does it taste? It has a fiery sweetness with a hint of maple! Here’s some song lyrics to help better describe:
There’s a dragon with matches that’s loose on the town
Takes a whole pail of water just to cool him down.
Fire! fire on the mountain!
Almost ablaze still you don’t feel the heat
It takes all you got just to stay on the beat.
Grateful Dead – Fire On The Mountain lyrics