- Daikon Radish
- Crimson Clover
- Hard Red Spring Wheat
Why use cover crops? Here are the benefits of cover crops, in general.
- Weed Suppression
- Erosion Control
- Attracts Beneficial Insects
- Builds Soil Organic Matter
- Increases Moisture Holding Capacity
- Improve Soil Quality
However, each cover crop can have a specialized use. Perhaps you can think of these jars like farmer tools that can be used to fix and maintain the soil. Can you match these uses with the seeds listed above?
- “Bio Drills” tap roots mine up soil nutrients and break up compacted soil.
- “Solar Soil Charger” adds nitrogen to the soil.
- “Speedy Ground Cover” that is a weed suppressor and phosphorus scavenger.
- “Sweet Nutty Berries” that are incredibly appealing on the farmer’s table.
Left to Right: Hard Red Spring Wheat are “My Sweet Nutty Berries”, Crimson Clover is “My Solar Soil Charger”, Daikon Radish are “My Bio Drills” and Buckwheat is “My Speedy Ground Cover”. Not-shown: White Mustard is “My Bio Fumigant and Allelopathic Weed Eater”
Thanks for playing along.